The 101th most asked question that is not listed in my 100 Ultimate FAQ about Japan, is:
How do i get internet while traveling in Japan?
I think i answered many times, but i’m gonna answer once and for all in this post!
A few years ago if you travel to Japan, usually your only internet choices are:
a) rent a mobile phone b) use internet roaming by your local telco provider c) be all zen and disconnect with the world and live without it.
But after traveling to Japan for so many times, i can say that the best choice now is:
A Pocket WiFi.
Why? I have said it in a previous post before but now i’ll list down again all the reasons why:
1. It is much, much cheaper than data roaming, unless your telco company is run by Santa Claus, or lying.
2. You have internet with you all the time, provided you don’t forget your device in the hotel and that your device doesn’t die on you (which bring me to point n0. later in the post below).
3. It can connect multiple devices for the same price! Meaning you may have the internet on your iPhone, your BF’s iPhone, your iPad, your BF’s iPad and your cat’s laptop. If you travel in a group you can also share the bill. Like sharing a cab.
4. This point is very very important! Even if you have the internet, it would have no use whatsoever if your smartphone runs out of juice. Since your phone is now on wifi and not 3G, your phone’s battery life also lasts much much longer than when you are on data roaming.
So now the next question is:
How do i get one and which one is good?
Before this i usually rented mine from Japan. They would send it to Narita airport and i would pick it up from there. It was easy for me because i could read Japanese websites so the ordering was really simple as well. For some people they might be a little bit of trouble. And you always feel insecure not to have internet with you BEFORE you fly.
Finally there’s a company that provides Pocket Wifi rental service for Japan IN MALAYSIA. And that’s Beee Mobile.
What are the advantages of choosing Beee Mobile Pocket Wifi Device?
1. The most important now of course, is you can pick the device up at KLIA and drop it off when you return. If you fly from other airports, you can also have it delivered to your doorstep FOC (within Klang Valley). Now you can stay connected the moment you land in Japan! 😀
2. All the Pocket Wifi devices i have ever rented for my trips other than Japan are all from this H brand, which honestly is quite shit. The battery life is so short you will have to bring a power bank (or two!) all the time or charge it every 3-4 hours. I always got so worried i had to switch it off when i wasn’t using, and switch it on again when i want to tweet or IG a photo wtf. Now Beee Mobile Pocket Wifi’s battery lasts for 12 hours!!! Pretty much cover your whole day trip 😀
3. The device is also the latest model that supports 4G (means super super fast!), is made in Japan, manufactured by NEC and supported by Docomo. If you don’t already know, Docomo is the top network provider in Japan and its reliability speaks for itself.
4. Usually Pocket Wifi allows you to share up to 5 devices, but this one tops it all with a maximum of 10 devices. Bring your whole family to Japan!!!
5. No deposit required.
6. Lastly, very competitive price.
You can find out more about the rate here.
Other than Pocket Wifi rental, Beee Mobile also provide camera rental. One is Instax Mini polaroid, another is TR15, which is the most sought-after camera right now, but sold out, or waaaay too expensive to buy right? Why not rent it! 😀 What’s more, if you don’t want to splurge on winter coats which you won’t use again, you can also rent it from Beee Mobile. Pretty much a one-stop awesome website to prep you for your life-changing Japan trip.
Go to Beee Mobile now!
And check out their Facebook Page. ^^
Arigato gozaimasu cheesie-san ! Your information is really helpful
Glad it helped!!!
I would also suggest people whom either can buy a cheap 3G/4G Pocket Wifi themselves for future use to buy or rent a DATA ONLY sim card, I used one from B-Mobile Japan (http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html) i opted for the 14 days unlimited internet one (capped at 300Kbps) and to be quite honest it was really good even with 3 devices running from it, it still did pretty well often going above 350Kbps so that rate is "theoretical" plus you can now purchase a 1Gb one which utilizes up to 4G network speed (device varying) and just recharge the data amount when you run out if needed.
That was what i used last year, previous to this back in 2012 when i went solo to Japan i used another rental company whom is VERY COMPETITIVE with others i have searched for called Pupuru (http://www.pupuru.com/en/), i rented a E-Mobile JP Pocket Wifi which was mailed to the airport for me to collect, it went seamlessly complete with a pre-paid padded envelope to mail it back in once used.
I also have been looking to go again either towards the end of this year or some time next year and have come across some of these sites also being very competitively priced too, check em out!
Sakura Mobile – http://www.sakuramobile.jp/
eConnect Mobile – https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/wifi/p420
Hope this helps, if needed please repost as much as possible and feel free to ask me any questions too!
Yes, had to agree that those who don’t speak much Japanese like myself would feel a little insecure about having no data when I land in the airport. Haha >.<;;
Wonder if they do drop the device at KLIA2 as well..
Don’t think so, but just get it shipped to your house! 😀
Thanks for the recommendation!! So impressed with their rental winter outfits choice!!
Yea! Such a good idea right!!! 😀
Hi Cheesie, what about for your Singaporean readers? Any suggestion/advice on how to get a pocket wifi for when we go to Japan? Or any other options? Arigato! <3
Thank you so much Cheesie! =D This is such a big help!