Almost every other day i receive emails asking me questions about Japan.
I used to answer really nicely and give suggestions because talking about Japan alone makes me happy, but recently i’m doing that less because when i do, 90% of the time i don’t even get a reply or some sort just to say “thank you” or something along that line, so i started to feel like i’m Wikitravel in an insignificant way. Except that i’m still honored that you consult me before you even go to uncle Google or Wikitravel. So Google/Wiki, i win.
And also, they look upon me as a travel consultant so highly to the point most of the questions asked are like this:
Hi! I’m traveling to Japan in (month) with my (travel companion), i would really appreciate if you can recommend some places to go and things to do there as it’s my first time to Japan.
I am really quite impressed and overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude and immensity of the question alone. It’s almost like asking God: Care to tell me every damn thing you know about the universe?
Fine. Maybe God is less of an asshole like me and he will give you a nicely crafted long and detailed answer written with unicorn hair brush dipped in florescent rainbow beam ink on a piece of fluffy cloud, but there’s a reason why i’m not God, you see.
So, the non-God me have decided to stop answering all emails pertaining questions like that from now on.
Instead, i am going to just give you a link, which contains more than 150 blog posts i have written over 6 years or so regarding a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot of things about Japan. If you still cannot find anything remotely useful for you, then i’ll be damned and can only admit that i am, truly, a shit blogger. I apologize in advance for things you cannot find there.
The holy link is this:
You are welcome.
And actually, i am also a little kinder than you think (still not as great as God), so i’m making things even easier for you.
Here are the 100 things you may or may not ask or want to know, depending on the topic of your interest.
I LOVE FOOD
1. Hi, can i know what you recommend to eat in Japan?
2. Okay, fine, i’ll try to be more specific. Where can i find super yummy but not so expensive food you can eat in Tokyo??
3. Right. why don’t you categorize it for me, isn’t that easier?
4. Ok ok i get it. Question changed. How about suggesting some summer food specialty? Autumn?
5. Yummy. How about winter? Throw in some fun stuff to do while you’re at it thanks.
6. Nice but not impressive. i want to go to a restaurant that will change my life. Suggestion?
7. How about all the cute desserts and sweets Japan is famous for?
8. MORE!! Gimme MORE!!! And moreeeee!
9. Japanese eat a lot of weird, raw things. Have you tried before?
10. Ok now i want to read about your live squid eye eating experience again.
11. What’s the fuss about mentaiko?
I LOVE SHOPPING
12. Hi, where can i shop in Tokyo?
13 Okay THANK YOU. Now i wanna go to those cool fashion events in Tokyo!
14. How about now you tell me your fav fashion brands cuz i have no idea what to buy.
15. Oh… what is this fukubukuro thing? Where can i get it?
16. Any other cute things to buy for souvenir?
17. Show me your shopping haul!
18. OMG i want all!!!! Show more more shopping please!
I LIKE SOME FUN AND THEME PARKS
19. I love Purikura! How can i take nice Purikura?
20. I always wanted to wear a kimono. Can you show me how to wear one?
21. I fucking love Hello Kitty. Where can i see and meet one?
22. I fucking love Ghibli movies. It’s too much to ask but… how does it look inside Ghibli museum?
23. I didn’t know that Hachiko is Akita and not Shiba inu. What does a Shiba inu look like? Are they as cute?
24. Show me Disneyland!!!
25. How about Disney Sea? Omg i can’t make up my mind which one to go.
26. Did you manage to find the hidden mickeys?
27. Ok, enough of Disneyland. Where else can i go for some fun?
28. How about Universal Studio Japan? I have only been to the one in Singapore. It was very hot.
29. Any other theme park in Osaka?
30. Do Japanese people celebrate Halloween?
31. That’s so cool! I wanna join the fun too! Where can i go?
32. Any fancy restaurant go to on Halloween day?
33. Where can i go to a hanabi taikai (fireworks event) ?
I WANT TO GO TO TOKYO
34. How does it look like?
35. Okay everybody likes Harajuku and Shibuya. What’s so special there?
36. Is the fish market worth going? I heard they are closing it down for Olympics!?
37. Hi, I only have 4 days in Tokyo and i want to visit outside Tokyo, but not too far?
38. Hi, that sounds great but what else can i do in Tokyo?
39. How about Tokyo Sky Tree? Is it worth going?
40. I am in Tokyo but i wanna eat Hokkaido food. Solve my problem!!
41. Is April in Tokyo very cold? What can i wear?
42. But i’m traveling in December. Is it cold? What can i do?
43. I want to go to Tokyo but i’m alone 🙁 Can you still have fun if you travel alone?
I WANT TO GO TO NAGANO
44. I remember about your first homestay experience in Nagano. How was it?
45. What did you eat everyday in the family? I remember it was a funny post.
46. Awww was it hard to say goodbye??
47. Omg you went to teach at a Japanese school? The kids must be cute!
48. Is there actually anything to do in Matsumoto?
49. What else? I heard skiing is good in Nagano!
50. I am shy to go to the hot spring. Do you really have to strip everything??
I WANT TO GO TO NAGOYA
51. Didn’t you go to Nagoya for homestay too? How did you manage to find so many hosts?!?
52. How is it living with the family? Is it scary?
53. What do you do every day when you are at a homestay?
54. Is there any sightseeing to do in Nagoya?
I WANT TO GO TO OSAKA
55. Hi. I heard Osaka is a strange city. Can you suggest some really Osakan things to do in Osaka?
56. Hmmm that’s not extreme enough. I wanna do something crazy!!
57. Ok that was mad. Now show me some place to shop in Osaka!
I WANT TO GO TO KYOTO
58. What can i do in Kyoto?
59. I want to wear a kimono and walk around to take lots of selfies!
I WANT TO GO TO FUKUOKA
60. I will go to Fukuoka, how is it like?
I WANT TO GO TO KUMAMOTO
61. How about the hometown of Kumamon?
I WANT TO GO TO NAGASAKI
62. You always say you love Nagasaki. What’s so nice about it?
63. Any other sight seeing places there?
64. How about theme parks? Is there one?
65. Now can you recommend some place to eat there?
I WANT TO GO TO OKINAWA
66. I heard so much good things about Okinawa! Is it exotic like they say?
67. Whatever. You seem to like just every single city in Japan. What else can i do or eat there?
I WANT TO GO TO TOHOKU
68. I want to visit Tohoku to give my support but i’m afraid of radiation turning me into an infertile purple frog for the next 24 years. But still, i heard it’s nice…
I WANT TO GO TO HOKKAIDO
69. My god you even did homestay in Sapporo?? Tell me all!
70. That looks nice. Did you enjoy your homestay?
71. I don’t trust you anymore. Everything also say nice. But… Is the food really as good as everyone thinks?
72. Walao. Got so exaggerated or not -_-. But… where can i get some fresh Hokkaido seafood?!?!?!?
73. How about snow… AND snow crab!!!
74. Show me more!!! Where can i go skiing?
75. I wanna see some polar bear! Where can i go?
76. There wasn’t any polar bear in that post. Show me real polar bears.
77. Is Sapporo still cold in summer? What should i wear?
78. I want to visit the chocolate factory!
79. Where else can i go besides Sapporo?
80. Anything else interesting do to in Otaru?
81. Where can i stay in Otaru?
I LOVE SAKURA
82. Are they really as pretty as what everyone always tells me about?
83. That’s just… wow. What is this hanami thing everyone is doing?
84. I want to go to one! Where should i go?
85. Wow… how do they look at night?
86. But i’m going to Nagoya, can i see sakura too?
87. You are so lucky to see full bloom!! I will be a week late, can i still see sakura? 🙁
88. Is there any Matsuri during sakura season?
89. I can’t get enough of it!!
I STILL HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS TO ASK!
90. How do you get internet in Japan while you travel?
91. I want to read that post about your birthday in Japan.
92. That’s so nice to celebrate your bday during sakura, what did you do?
93. Rumors have it that if you go to Japan the first time you will get voodooed and your soul will get stuck there. Is it true?
94. Oh i see. If you show your gratitude to Japan, it will make you go back again. Is it true?
95. Sorry i still don’t get why you love Japan so much.
96. Hmmm i can’t agree with all you said. Show me something more convincing!!
97. Okay now i really want to go to Japan but i have no money 🙁
98. Alright thanks. But i still have other questions to ask that’s not listed here though.
99. But that didn’t answer my question!! Is it really so hard for you to answer a question :(?
100. None of these posts helped me in anyway!! Just be nice and answer my email ok?